Amazon Pampas Tour, Rurrenabaque, Bolivia
Cost: Approximately 600 Bolivianos ($97AUD)
Time needed: 2 nights/3days
you must take: Lots of DEET, Sunscreen, and long
lightweight clothes, toilet paper, Traveller or Survival First Aid KIT with
SMART snake bandage
Where is it?
You depart from Rurrenabaque which is a 40 minute flight from La Paz or 20-24
hours by bus, depending on the weather. I opted for the flight which costs between $75-$100 AUD.
It is a 3 hour bumpy 4WD from Rurrenabaque to the starting point for the Pampas tour.
Who should you go with?
There are many different tour operators who basically do the exact same tour. The only difference is the accommodation, which didn’t appear to vary that much. I went with Fluvial who are considered a budget option. There are mid range and luxury options.
Positives and Negatives
· Amazing scenery and wildlife
· Good food
· Significantly cheaper than other Amazon options
· With the low cost option, the guide usually has basic English
· The drive to and from Pampas was very uncomfortable
· The guide did not have a first aid kit and there were no safety procedures in place
What did I see?
· Baby anaconda
· The biggest rodent in the world
· Toucans and plenty of other birds
· Pink dolphins, including swimming with them
· 1000s of mosquitoes
Which first aid KIT should you take?
The Traveller First Aid KIT with the new SMART snake bandage and added insect repellent and sunscreen will cover your needs.
Trackbacks (0) | Permalink
· If you are properly prepared for the mosquitoes, then everything else is worth it
· You search for snakes through the wetlands wearing gumboots. There are cobras, anacondas and many more snakes. I recommend taking the new SMART snake bandage with you on this walk
· Locals report that malaria is not an issue but there have been some rare cases of Dengue fever. Consult with your doctor before heading here to make sure you limit your risks
· Watch out for alligators and caymans that hang out under your accommodation